The delicious broccoli chicken recipe is made with your choice of pasta, tender chicken, broccoli and our delicious savory mushroom sauce. See note above for possible synthetic changes.
- 1 large head of broccoli*, cut into bite-sized florets (about 1 pound of florets)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups diced (or shredded) cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta* (I used whole-wheat rotini)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Boil the pasta in a large bowl and soak it until it boils. However, about a minute before the pasta is cooked, broccoli is added to the boiling water of pasta and stir the mixture. Drain pasta and broccoli and set aside.
- At the same time, heat the butter (or oil) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and garlic and stir for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are tender.
- Pour the flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir the mixture until added. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add leaves and move everything together until most blocks disappear. Add milk, dijon, salt and pepper and stir the mixture. Keep cooking the sauce until it boils. Remove from heat and stir in one cup of chopped cheese until mixed together. If necessary, season with salt and pepper.
- In a large 9 “x 13” baking dish, mix cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom and chicken sauce. Toss up the merge. The sand is casserole evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly over a casserole, and bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm and garnish with black pepper and / or fresh herbs.
- * Pasta: Any type of traditional pasta (semolina), whole wheat, eggs, gluten-free pasta or other grains can be used.
- * Broccoli: If you prefer, you can use 1 lb of frozen broccoli (thaw) instead of fresh broccoli.
- Serving Size: 6-8 SERVINGS
Keywords: Healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole